Why is GB2 so strangley inconsistent?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Why is GB2 so strangley inconsistent?

Early evening game: performance is average, a certain amount of players is leaving because of lag, I experience nothing too strange or too unplayable, so I continue to play.

Here are my observations of events later this evening: (All of this happening between 23:05 and 0:08 CET time.)

Game 1: Overgrown: I come in mid game: laggy, bullets hardly register, or they do so with significant less damage. People are difficult to hit at all, slight erratic movement, so "test" aiming in front, behind or on the target is required. This means I have to keep spraying, aim quite precise, change my firing pattern to maximize effect of packets, etc. It slows down the time per target. About 13 players in game.
      Game 2: Showdown: I still need a serious amount of bullets before something goes down, but it really is "loosening up" mid game, looks like whatever is causing the lag/traffic is suddenly not present anymore. (about 9 players in, overall lower player counts = less lag, but I don't think that is the cause.)
      Game 3: Crash: Server is getting busy, but it plays well, I start to notice that I can even aim without sighting in, and still hit things, this is very rare for me. I believe a too low ping will drop you below a certain compensation algorithm threshold. It felt like that was picking up or that my 16 ms ping really was making a difference for the first time in days.
      Game 4: Broadcast: I'm flying, things hit way easier than they did all week. It is noticeable improved, up to a point where I find the running speed too fast. This plants a seed of doubt in my mind, am I by mistake being made a VIP? Meanwhile I do my best to ignore both Solor77 and SamUA who have been calling me a cheater for the last 3 maps. I decide to start my stream:
      See it here: Twitch compare it with any other vid from this week and see the difference in performance. (Especially on the last map countdown.)
      Game 5: Wet Work, Still easy hits, but I get distracted by things going way too smooth. (Stream is still on and does not affect my game experience.)
      Game 6: Countdown, around 17 players in, I feel like I'm placed in some sort of super VIP group, barely need to aim, hardly need bullets, time per target goes down to less than a second. No drag, no lag, instant kills, perfection or equilibrium even.
      If this would be possible all the time I would be very happy, but I can't shake the VIP feeling, I really don't want to be VIP for obvious reasons. So if I am by accident placed in that group, please remove me again. Thanks. :)

Besides all of the above I also notice that if you start getting ahead (10 kills, 20 kills ahead) the game seems to give you more advantage over the other players. It is easier to hit people, and it seems like the need for precision is reduced. This might be an entirely psychological effect, the combination of getting ahead and the de-motivation of other players as the gap continues to widen.

It would be really nice if somebody could spit trough some logs to find out what caused this sudden spike performance. I'm willing to pay/donate a certain amount of money to keep it that way. (unless it was caused by VIP.) :D

Thanks!

- Proto

"The patient hunter gets the prey."

twitch.tv/prototype2380
    • I always notice that players who are way too ahead in kills gets to be favoured by helis, like
      if a guy has 60 kills his helis will always give him 5 or more where if the next guy has 30 kills in the list of the same match gets a heli it would never net him more then 3.Also heli kills faster when the player is faster at killing at the same time or it becomes idle if the player is so.But i observed some irregularities in some players like daxok their helis will always kill more then 5-6 no matter the map,playercount or they are just sitting ducks.I always think it's just me or the devs programmed the heli to behave this way but still when a winning player gets everthing better it doesnt makes me accept his skill rather makes much more angry at him and then the things follows.
      Reckoning
    • I agree with the prototype, :done:

There are times when I find it more difficult to kill a target as if his health increased.

I also feel that the delay increases. as if my ping was greater than 280

And sometimes I feel like I'm playing with a ping below 100
      it's easier for me to kill the targets

It is a good observation :)
      220 ping + 40 fps + noob = relapmk

• Reckoning wrote:

I always notice that players who are way too ahead in kills gets to be favoured by helis, like
      if a guy has 60 kills his helis will always give him 5 or more where if the next guy has 30 kills in the list of the same match gets a heli it would never net him more then 3.Also heli kills faster when the player is faster at killing at the same time or it becomes idle if the player is so.But i observed some irregularities in some players like daxok their helis will always kill more then 5-6 no matter the map,playercount or they are just sitting ducks.I always think it's just me or the devs programmed the heli to behave this way but still when a winning player gets everthing better it doesnt makes me accept his skill rather makes much more angry at him and then the things follows.
      Well, the helicopter sometimes kills more and sometimes kills less is a matter of several factors

1 the type of example map

a helicopter on the map
      Wet work can kill up to 8 or more players.

on the crosfire map the helicopter will kill about 4 players or less

I want to say that in open maps the heli is more effective.

Another important point is that the helicopter can not kill the people who are hidden only for those who are outdoors and then to all the camps in the houses where the helicopter will not kill anyone.

The first to kill the helicopter is the one with the best streak.

If I have a streak of 6 and someone calls a helicopter, he will go directly to me and kill me without mercy.

But the point here is that the server is irregular in the sense that sometimes there is more hitmarker and more delay than common
      220 ping + 40 fps + noob = relapmk

• I do not know what is Happening. I never have this Kind of lags or sloppy kills.

I never had this Kind of problems.
      What I can do is to restart the server and see how things are going.

relapmk wrote:

If I have a streak of 6 and someone calls a helicopter, he will go directly to me and kill me without mercy

The belicopter always searches the player directly below the player with the most kills or points (Score Board) if you are first then everyone below you obviously.
      Regards
      DoMaxiHa

GB-Management | Administrator | Server Engineer

Need Support? >> Contact me

GB-Discord >> German Bash Discord

• I restarted the server.

Please take in mind that I cannot always restart the server when a very few players mostly proto have so called sloppy kills or what ever. I do not even know how that looks like. The server runs fine and I cannot imagine that not even one week after a restart someone says that the server is lagging or Hit detection is sloppy.

Play with your CL maxpacket and rate. Like I said.
      I never had such problems in the 2 and a half years I have been playing on GB.
      Regards
      DoMaxiHa

• But that doesn't mean that you will now stop Posting or telling me that the server is sloppy. Do it and I will take a look if I can. But i cannot restart the server while over 18 players are on it.
      Regards
      DoMaxiHa

• relapmk wrote:

I agree with the prototype, :done:

There are times when I find it more difficult to kill a target as if his health increased.

I also feel that the delay increases. as if my ping was greater than 280

And sometimes I feel like I'm playing with a ping below 100
      it's easier for me to kill the targets

It is a good observation :)

It seems like I have been on the other side of the spectrum regarding your point. I have been called out for having "VIP" loads of times by various players but I have of course, never had VIP.
      Can this co-releate with @Prototypes observations?

@DoMaxiHa how is lag compensation setup in this game? Can the sheer number of players cause the server to struggle compensating for all players pings varying from 30-250?
      Dazed and confused? Send me a PM and i'll try to help you :)

“Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas ... with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether.”
      Hunter S. Thompson
    • Thanks for all the input people!

As this happened over the course of a 1 hour session, I want (but can't entirely) rule out my own end. It is a high end and my ping has no fluctuation, it is also a cabled connection, no wifi, and has as little protocols active as is possible.

The only constant is that I have the lowest ping of all players, I read somewhere that algorithms are measured between the second fastest and the slowest latency connection. I might be entirely ignored by the system. :)
      Playing with rate and max packets, I have limited control, I can make my ping move from 16ms to 20ms at most by reducing or increasing rate. I think whatever I'm doing has limited effect. (currently set up at 125 packets, 250fps lock and a rate of 100.000 with no packet duplication.
      I have experimented with it in the past, but I have not done so in a few months now. (My end stayed the same.) Would not mind hearing other good working combinations.

I don't want or expect a restart when games are in full fledge, that will kill the popularity of the server really quick. It would hurt GB.
      I think we talked about having a sort of server restart script at times when the player count is almost zero. I'm not convinced this is the cause, but a fresh server never hurts. (Perhaps with many different connections in and out over a couple of weeks there is a sort of memory leak or fatigue.)

I will play some more tonight see how it holds up.

Thanks again!

"The patient hunter gets the prey."

twitch.tv/prototype2380
    Freaky Winner of
    3rd GB Event
    Q1 2019